Dec 07, 2022
Visual Art Program Mission Statement
The Visual Arts Department will provide a quality visual arts education based on a foundation of both traditional and contemporary practices and ideas. Consistent with the mission, philosophy, and institutional purposes of Casper College, this education serves as the foundation for further study and meaningful participation in contemporary society.
This program is designed for students interested in pursuing a museum or gallery career. The degree is especially appropriate for students interested in working with art, history, or anthropology and allows focus in other areas such as geology or paleontology. The courses provide an understanding of basic operations of a museum or gallery, such as design, education, collections management, marketing, and an overview of the history and changing role of these facilities in society.
General Education (Minimum 32 credits)
General education coursework can be completed from within or outside of the major field of study.
1. Exploration and Participation
- Laboratory science (4CR)
- Mathematics (3CR)
3. Relationship with the World
- Human Behavior (3CR)
- U.S. and Wyoming constitutions (3CR)
- Cultural environment (3CR)
4. General Education Electives (9CR)
- Must be chosen from areas 1, 2, or 3 above.
5. Physical Education (1CR)
- ANTH 1100 - Introduction to Physical Anthropology (3L,3CR)
- ANTH 1200 - Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (3L,3CR)
- ANTH 1300 - Introduction to Archeology (3L,3CR)
- ART 1300 - Museum Studies (3L,3CR)
- ART 2010 - Art History I (3L,3CR)
- ART 2020 - Art History II (3L,3CR)
- ART 2023 - Collections Management (3L,3CR)
- ART 2035 - Art History III (3L,3CR)
- ART 2990 - Museum Training Internship (18LB,6CR)
- CO/M 1010 - Public Speaking (3L,3CR)
- Electives (3CR)
A minimum of 64 approved semester credits are required for graduation. For specific graduation requirements see “Academic Policies ” and “Degree Requirements .”
Only courses numbered 1000 or above can be used toward the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Business, Associate of Fine Arts and Associate of Applied Science Degrees.