Music Program Mission Statement
The Music Department shall prepare students with a foundation for a career in music, while providing educational enrichment and cultural opportunities for the college and the greater community.
Music department offerings are not limited to music majors. Students in other programs are encouraged to participate in music department courses, studio lessons, and performing ensembles.
The music department offers three curricula for majors: the Associate of Arts in Music, the Associate of Fine Arts in Music Education, and the Associate of Fine Arts in Instrumental or Vocal Performance.
Casper College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music [www.arts-accredit.org].
The music department collaborates with the department of theatre and dance in offering the Associate of Arts in Musical Theatre Performance. (The recommended curriculum is located in the Theatre and Dance portion of the catalog.) Casper College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre [www.arts-accredit.org].
Music majors must::
- Declare a major instrument;
- Enroll in one- or two-credit hours of music studio in the declared instrument and curriculum, which includes studio classes and a final jury;
- Perform in at least one major ensemble (usually Concert Band, ; Collegiate Chorale, ; or Chamber Orchestra, ) . All students expecting to enroll in “audition only” music ensemble courses must contact the appropriate instructor for permission;
- Pass the Piano Proficiency Examination ( ), normally at the conclusion of Class Piano IV ( ). All music majors enroll in the Class Piano sequence, and are placed at the appropriate level as determined by the piano faculty:
- Successfully complete a minimum of four semesters of Convocation ( ).
The recommended music curriculum is designed to concentrate on the broad discipline of music within the liberal arts framework. The offerings are also available to those who plan to transfer to a Bachelor of Arts program, as well as those who are interested in enriching their musical experiences.